1300 : Two Parter (13/9/24)

Pink Footed Goose

I was a bit tired following Thursday's wander out to Balmossie and Broughty Ferry and with decent weather forecast, I didn't feel particularly like walking any great distance on Friday morning. I decided I might as well head up to the top of the Law in search of passing migrants. Whereas Ferryhills in Fife gets a lot of 'passing traffic' (or maybe just has better observers), the Law isn't even the best vis-mig spot in Dundee. The hill at Riverside Nature Park would appear to hold that particular title. However, the main point in the Law's favour is that it is relatively close to home, and has turned up a few surprises in the past (Hawfinch and Ring Ouzel in particular).

I headed out around 0715. Robin, Herring Gull and Feral Pigeon were first onto the morning's list, soon followed by Carrion Crow, Magpie, Blackbird and Woodpigeon. House Sparrow, Blue Tit and Starling were next as I headed down to Dens Road. A Collared Dove flew past as I headed for the top of the Hilltown. A couple of Meadow Pipits flew over, which did raise hopes a little. Great Tit, Coal Tit, Wren and Chiffchaff were around the stairs up to the top of the hill. A small flock of 4 Meadow Pipits flew over as I was checking the trees and bushes on the walk up.

The next hour turned out to be a slow succession of around 20 Meadow Pipits, interspersed with a few skeins of Pink Footed Geese and a single House Martin. As it was very slow going on the migrant front, I decided to give up after just an hour. Wren, Blackcap, Bullfinch, Black Headed Gull and Stock Dove were noted either from the top of the hill, or on my walk home. I had considered going elsewhere but decided to head home. However, I didn't want to waste the rest of the day. After an hour and a half back at home I decided to head out along the Dighty Burn, as I'd not been that way for a while. I would then have a look at the area around the cemetery and Clearwater Park before heading back homewards.

There were Jackdaws atop the chimneys opposite when I headed back outside. The first Goldfinches of the day flew over as I wandered up Court Street. Swannie Ponds felt rather quiet though I was still able to add Mallard, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan and Grey Heron. A Swallow whizzed overhead as I passed the former garage buildings near the top of Kingsway East. Things proved to be very quiet along the Dighty with not a huge amount of activity. A Large White butterfly flitted along the fenceline beside the building site for the new school. A Buzzard was seen circling distantly to the west as I scanned from the blue bridge. Long Tailed Tits were in the trees nearby, as was a Goldcrest.

A pair of Grey Wagtails flew over as I slowly continued on, having stopped to try to photograph a Brown Trout (I think) in the same area I've watched these fish previously. A Chaffinch flew over the burn and a few minutes later I watched a Sparrowhawk being harassed by a Carrion Crow to the south. I caught a brief glimpse of a Dipper speeding low down the burn. Having overall seen very little along the burn, I decided against my original plan, instead choosing to head homewards via the rather circuitous route along the northern edge of the city's farmland to Powrie Brae then up via Caird Park to the Kingsway and Mains Loan. I wasn't expecting very much, which meant I wasn't likely to be too disappointed. After a brief foray into Angus around Burnside of Duntrune, I added a male Pheasant by the farm that marked the boundary with Angus. 

There was a mixed flock of Linnets and a few Goldfinches plus numerous pigeons in a field further up the hill. A Buzzard flew across the field opposite. Rooks and Jackdaws were in another field further on, as were a small group of 5 Skylarks. I added Yellowhammer near 'The Soldier' on Powrie Brae. I talked myself out of continuing out to Trottick Ponds. The walk up through Caird Park yielded a pair of vocal Great Spotted Woodpeckers and a Grey Squirrel. The woodpeckers took the day's total number of species of birds to 45, as well as 1 of butterfly and 1 of mammal. Despite the rather limited variety of species seen, it was good to check out the Dighty after a few months of neglecting the area. Once the vegetation dies back and the leaves fall from the trees again, it should be worth checking out again, so it was worth the effort to see where things were in regards to this annual process. I didn't take very many photos, so there is a bit of repitition in the photos below.

Meadow Pipit
House Martin
Pink Footed Goose
Meadow Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Pink Footed Goose
Pink Footed Goose
House Martin
Brown Trout?
Linnet & Goldfinch
Linnet & Goldfinch
Linnet
Pink Footed Goose
Buzzard
Linnet
Meadow Pipit
Skylark

Birds - Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Coot, Dipper, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Pheasant, Pink Footed Goose, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Skylark, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Swallow, Tufted Duck, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Butterfly - Large White.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel.