1266 : Blue Sky Birding (1/6/24)

Sparrowhawk

With a bit of a backlog at work, I was asked if I would work on my day off, to which I agreed in return for being able to take the day when it suits me a bit later on in the summer. This meant that I didn't add to my blog-post back-log but also that I was a bit more tired than usual come the weekend. I didn't really feel like I had much energy and with nothing much likely to be around I decided to have a wander up to the top of the Law, instead of walking out to Riverside Nature Park. As is usually the case, I wasn't really expecting too much, other than perhaps a few raptor photo opportunities, and maybe a Crossbill or two. The weather forecast was to be warm and sunny, so if nothing else, it would be quite pleasant atop the hill.

I headed out at 0750 for the walk up to the hill. House Sparrow, Woodpigeon, Herring Gull and Carrion Crow were all visible when I stepped outside into the sunshine. Lesser Black Backed Gull, Blackbird, Starling, Chaffinch, Magpie, Goldfinch and Swift were noted as I headed up past the football stadiums. Feral Pigeon, Blue Tit and Coal Tit were noted near the primary school on Byron Street. A Willow Warbler was heard singing on the north side of the hill. As I wandered up past the allotments a Robin landed in the middle of the road for a few seconds and a Dunnock was seen perched on the wooden fence opposite. I reached the top of the hill and got organised. Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Wren, Song Thrush and Chaffinch provided a soundtrack to a rather slow first 20 minutes with nothing much happening. 

Even the usual Carrion Crows, Magpies and Herring Gulls seemed to be mostly absent, though all 3 species would put in numerous appearances as the day progressed. I picked up a small distant skein of geeseat 0835, which appeared to be Greylag Geese and I watched them head upriver from the east before losing sight of them before they reached the roadbridge. A Bullfinch was heard a few minutes later. The first House Martins were sighted just after 30 minutes of scanning had elapsed. A Siskin was heard a few minutes later, but not seen. The first Sparrowhawk of the day was seen rather distantly out to the west at 0910. A pair of Jackdaws overflew at 0925. A Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk could be seen circling up out to the northwest.

I had a chat with a Welsh couple who had stopped off at the top of the Law on their way to a wedding in Oban. Just before they left (a little later than intended), I spotted an Osprey circling just to the northwest of the hill and shouted to them, as they don't often see Osprey where they live, except as the odd high flying migrant passing through on their way north (or south). They were treated to reasonably nice views before both they, and the bird, headed off. A Sparrowhawk showed well overhead just before 1020. I was asked what the bird was by a lady who sounded like she was from the Glasgow area and ended up having a bit of a chat to her and her husband (I think) for a wee while. I heard a Great Spotted Woodpecker calling from the trees to the northeast. While we were chatting the local Kestrel hovered quite close to where we were standing, giving us all good views.

A bit later, another Buzzard was seen out to the southeast and I had a second sighting of 5 Greylag Geese, which may or may not have been the same group seen earlier. A Buzzard and Carrion Crow were picked out above Balgay Hill as they tussled before vanishing into the trees. Things were still relatively quiet however. It was 1115 before the next 'new' bird for the morning made it onto the day's list - a group of Long Tailed Tits in the trees near the steps on the eastern side of the hill. A Swallow headed west, a little to the south of the hill at 1115. There were a few sightings of Buzzards and Sparrowhawks over the course of the next hour. An unidentified raptor was 'one that got away' , seen out to the southwest. Although I managed to get a sequence of photos they were very inconclusive - though both Kestrel and Merlin were mentioned by others, as possibilities.

A Buzzard tangled with a Herring Gull out to the south and a Blackcap sang from the western side bushes. Another Buzzard had an altercation with a Carrion Crow out to the west near Cox's Stack just before I called it a day, at 1314, following 5 hours at the top of the hill. I added a Collared Dove as I crossed Dens Road on my way home taking my list for the day to 35 species. There was some debate online about the unidentified falcon but I ended up leaning slightly towards it having been the escaped Saker Falcon rather than either Kestrel or Merlin. The bird's topside looked to be completely brown on the photos which rules out Kestrel anyway. I'm not completely convinced by any of the possibilities so it will be staying as 'unidentified falcon species'. While not a classic morning's birding at the top of the hill, it was just steady enough for me not to get bored and I ended up with some pretty decent photos too.

Herring Gull
Swift
Osprey
Osprey
Osprey
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Kestrel
Buzzard
Woodpigeon
Sparrowhawk
Herring Gull & Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Buzzard
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Falcon sp.
Herring Gull

Birds - Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Osprey, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Swallow, Swift, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren.