1566 : Ferry Frustrating (26/8/26)

Rock Pipit

Following on from Tuesday's mix of frustration and poor planning, I decided to head out to Broughty Ferry and Balmossie, as this seemed to offer my best chance of adding something new to my #2026Dundee150 which was lagging behind previous year's efforts by a few species. On the plus side, this did mean there were still potentially more species available to get me to my target figure, but on the flip-side the chance of now catching up with some of these was now even more limited. Time will tell how things ultimately pan out. I had initially planned on getting out sometime around 0700 but it was an hour later before I finally made it out the door.

The weather was looking decent, though the hotter it is, the heavier the scope and tripod additions to the day's birding kit feel, moreso on the long walk back. Nevertheless, I set off with at least some optimism and hope. House Sparrow, Feral Pigeon, Robin, Herring Gull, House Martin, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Pied Wagtail, an unexpected Swift, Goldfinch, Collared Dove, Starling and Carrion Crow were found between home and the Stannergate. There I was able to add Lesser Black-backed Gull and Black-headed Gull. Further on, Grey Heron, Cormorant and Oystercatcher were seen and a Chiffchaff was calling from the other side of the fence near the car park. Things were rather quiet out along the river with only Common Gull, Turnstone and Goosander noted before I reached Douglas Terrace.

A Stock Dove landed down by the water there and a Sparrowhawk circled menacingly before heading off east over the houses. Although it was around low tide the river did seem rather quiet. From around the castle I was able to get a few species - Great Black-backed Gull, Sandwich Tern and Eider. A single Gannet out over the river was the only thing that hinted there might be more activity as the day progressed. I had a wander through the very quiet local nature reserve which only provided Blue Tit, Song Thrush and a Red Admiral butterfly. Back at the river I was able to see a few Bar-tailed Godwits and Mute Swans as I wandered on towards Balmossie. A small flock of Wigeon were the first of the Autumn for me here. A Grey Wagtail flew over before I reached the bench overlooking the Dighty outflow where I could set up the scope and tripod and hopefully find something new for my #2026Dundee150 list, or at least something 'good'.

I failed to find anything interesting amongst the gulls and other birds dotted around on the shore and by the burn mouth. An Osprey did eventually put in an appearance around 1130. Rook, Sand Martin, Linnet, Jackdaw and Wren were added over the course of the next hour. Unfortunately, with the sun shining the dog walkers were out in force and there was a lot of unnecessary disturbance from them and their off-lead charges. A drone added to the disturbance, putting up all the birds at one point. Another Osprey did show up and a larger group of Teal flew in a bit later. Things were still very quiet out on the river despite the tide being well on its way in. The overall frustration of the repeated disturbance and the lack of anything particularly 'good' prompted me to head back towards the castle a bit earlier than planned.

Long-tailed Tits were around at the Barnhill Rock Garden. Back at the castle I managed to see a Rock Pipit and a couple of Guillemots but by this time I'd had enough and I decided to get a bus back to Dundee rather than walk. As luck would have it there was a bus at the stop when I got there and it didn't take long to get back home. The list for the day was a very disappointing 46 species of birds and 1 butterfly. Coming off the back of the previous day's frustrations, I could have done with a more enjoyable experience but it wasn't to be, despite the weather. It also appears that the 'busy' spell in the Tay, with Gannets, Gulls, Terns and Auks feeding en masse and marauding Skuas in the Tay may already be over, which rather dents my chances of adding a few potential species, if it is indeed the case. As always, time will tell.

Herring Gull
Redshank
Stock Dove
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk
Cormorant
Goosander
Pied Wagtail
Grey Heron
Redshank
Curlew
Redshank
Eider
Gannet
Osprey
Osprey
Wigeon
Osprey
Teal
Teal
Turnstone
Rock Pipit

Birds - Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chiffchaff, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Eider, Gannet, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Black-backed Gull, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Guillemot, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Linnet, Long-tailed Tit, Magpie, Mute Swan, Osprey, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rock Pipit, Rook, Sand Martin, Sandwich Tern, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Swift, Teal, Turnstone, Wigeon, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Butterflies - Red Admiral.