1268 : Where To Go (8/6/24)

Common Gull

Having failed to get motivated to get out on Wednesday I had intended to head out early and down to Riverside Nature Park, on Saturday morning. I woke up in time to do so, but the lack of motivation from Wednesday was still lingering, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. I eventually surfaced at around 0900 but sat about doing not very much for almost the entire morning. Although it wasn't particularly warm (more like March than June - temperature-wise), as well as being rather windy, I decided I couldn't stay in all day, as tempting as that option was. However, trying to decide where to actually go also added to the rather frustrating feeling. I eventually decided to head for Swannie Ponds then decide where else to go to, from there.

The time of day and the strong wind meant that things were quieter than usual when I headed out. Herring Gull and House Sparrow were the only birds noted in my street. Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon and Magpie were added as I wandered up Court Street. Jackdaw and House Martin were found on Clepington Road. A Chiffchaff was heard from the trees behind the former site of the tennis courts on Forfar Road. There were rather surprisingly still 8 Tufted Ducks on the water at the ponds. A few Mallards, including a female with a group of well grown ducklings, and a Coot with a trio of almost grown youngsters were also found. There were no gulls on the top pond at this point.

A Chaffinch was heard from the trees on the bend. Further round a Moorhen was seen swimming across from the direction of the island. The Mute Swan pair were down on the lower pond still with 6 remaining cygnets. Out on the water there were a number of Herring Gulls and Lesser Black Backed Gulls. There were House Martins hawking for insects low over the water of both ponds. The water on the lower pond had a rather strong blue-green tinge (though no visible algae yet). A few Swifts zipped over a bit higher than the Martins. A pair of Starlings flew over the top pond towards the houses. An adult Black Headed Gull which landed on one of the rocky islets was a surprise as was the Kestrel which sped overhead northwards. A Blackbird was heard singing from the trees on the island. A single Swallow swooped low over the top pond but kept going rather than circling round again for another pass. 

After an hour at the ponds I decided to head along to Eastern Cemetery. I wasn't expecting to find much there, as winter tends to be when it is busiest for birds. Goldfinch was heard as I entered the cemetery gates and down on the grass a Dunnock was feeding, near a pair of Woodpigeons and a Blackbird. A Carrion Crow was on the grass opposite. An Oystercatcher was heard calling from somewhere to the east, but went unseen. A wander round found plenty of Rabbits, including some youngsters, mostly just sitting out in the sunshine or munching on the grass. A Wren called loudly from within one of the bushes near the toilets. Continuing round the site, I found a number of Rooks at the eastern end, in the 'square' behind Lidl.

I ended up photographing some of the countless Rabbits, including some of the less wary younger ones. A pair of Grey Squirrels diverted attention away from the Rabbits at one point. I found a trio of Stock Doves in the open grassy area near the opening into the top half of the cemetery. A Blue Tit was heard from one of the trees nearby. I wandered back up to the ponds for another look. I had found a metal ringed Lesser Black Backed Gull earlier but failed to refind it, so figured I would try to relocate it. Unfortunately, it never showed again - the one photo showing any detail I managed to get seems to show EM037(possibly 2 then unknown). I did however manage to find a different adult plumaged Black Headed Gull which also had a metal ring. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get the whole ring of this one either (looks like possibly EY478 (then possibly a 1) 0.

An adult Common Gull also put in an appearance, repeatedly stealing food from the Mute Swans as they lazed on the grass between the ponds. Around 1415, I decided to head for home. A pair of Song Thrushes were noted near the end of Argyle Street. A Robin was heard briefly as I headed back down Court Street. I ended the day's wanders having seen or heard a total of 32 species of bird and 2 of mammals. Although it wasn't a particularly interesting wander, I did get a few reasonably decent photos.

Tufted Duck
Moorhen
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Kestrel
Herring Gull
Black Headed Gull
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Tufted Duck
Woodpigeon
Black Headed Gull
Coot
Rabbit
Rabbit
Rabbit
Grey Squirrel
Grey Squirrel
Rook
Starling
Stock Dove
Mute Swan
Herring Gull

Birds - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Common Gull, Coot, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Song Thrush, Starling, Stock Dove, Swallow, Swift, Tufted Duck, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel, Rabbit.