1114 : A Weekend's Worth (13 & 14/5/23)

Reed Bunting

Saturday

As we move into the warmer weather (albeit rather slowly) it gets harder for me to get motivated to get out and about as it tends to get a bit too warm to walk anywhere particularly far with all my birding gear. Thankfully, having downsized both my photography kit and my scope it isn't as big an issue as in previous years, however it can still be draining to walk to the extremities of the city and back, moreso if there's nothing particularly interesting to be found. Following on from 2 days back at work, I struggled to get motivated on Saturday the 13th of May. Neither Balmossie nor Riverside Nature Park could tempt me, so instead I decided to head for the top of the Law to see if there might be a Honey Buzzard passing over the city. Unlikely, but not completely impossible.

It was 1255 before I left the house for the 15 minute walk to the hill. Blackbird, Herring Gull and Starling made for a slow start, largely due to the time of day. House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Feral Pigeon, Goldfinch and Woodpigeon were noted as I headed for Kinghorne Road. A Sparrowhawk circled overhead and a few Swifts skimmed past. I added Magpie and a passing Lesser Black Backed Gull from the top of the hill and a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly flitted past. Chiffchaff and Oystercatcher were both heard before a Buzzard glided in to land among the trees on the hills. A second Buzzard gained some unwanted attention from a Carrion Crow. A Sparrowhawk and Buzzard drifted off to the east together gaining height.

There were a few more sightings of Buzzards as the afternoon progressed. A Great Spotted Woodpecker called from somewhere on the north side of the hill. A few Swallows passed overhead and a Willow Warbler was heard singing. A Sparrowhawk was seen headed north as I called it a day around 1540. Orange Tip and Peacock butterflies were noted on the way down from the hill and a Robin was seen as I neared home. While not a classic afternoon atop the Law I did get some reasonably decent photo opportunities.  21 species of bird and 3 of butterflies were the sum total for 3 hours of effort.

Sparrowhawk
Herring Gull
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Buzzard
Carrion Crow & Buzzard
Small Tortoiseshell
Carrion Crow
Swift
Buzzard
Swallow
Magpie  

Birds - Blackbird, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, Oystercatcher, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Swallow, Swift, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon.

 Butterflies - Orange Tip, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell.

Sunday

While I was on holiday from work I received a message via Birdforum from a local birder who didn't know any other local birders as she had only got into birding relatively recently during all the Covid restrictions. We messaged back and forward and it turned out that we actually sort of knew of each other through work. Steph had mentioned that she thought she'd had a Redstart behind the 'Swallow' Hotel (now the Landmark Hotel, but it will always be known as the Swallow Hotel to locals, I suspect). With no real plans for Sunday I decided to go and investigate. If nothing else I would check out some previously unknown to me habitat.

I headed out just after 1205 for the walk to the underpass at Invergowrie from where I would cut through the village to another underpass under the dual carriageway which would take me to the site where the potential Redstart had been found. I followed the same route I took to work. Feral Pigeon, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Starling, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Wren, Goldcrest, Magpie and Chiffchaff were all in more or less the same spots I find them when I'm walking to work. There was a Peregrine showing on Cox's Stack and an Oystercatcher flew by at the crossroads on Loons Road. Carrying on along Ancrum Road got me Goldfinch and Greenfinch. Balgay Cemetery added Dunnock, Great Tit, Robin and Bullfinch.

A Lesser Black Backed Gull was on a roof as I left the cemetery grounds with Long Tailed Tits in the trees as I neared Ninewells Hospital grounds. A bit of a surprise was a Grey Wagtail on the grass in front of the Sterile Services buidling at the eastern end of the hospital grounds. Jackdaw and Rooks were in the trees at the Arboretum. There were a few House Martins circling over the Carseview Centre and a Kestrel hovered over the rough ground just beyond. A Blackcap was singing in the bushes as I cut down through the Technology Park. As I wandered up through Inveergowrie a pair of Mallard flew over. I found the underpass and crossed back into Dundee's western extremities. Swallows, Swifts and House Martins were hawking for insects over a grassy area and above the trees. A Jay was spotted while a variety of birds called among the trees. 

The Merlin app gave a 'false positive' on a call which it identified as a Spotted Flycatcher which although it seemed plausible turned out to be a Blackbird call between a pair with a nest close by. Chaffinches and Wren both showed briefly while Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were all heard from the trees behind a small reedy area. There was no sign of any Redstart and I wasn't convinced the habitat looked good for the species - though I suspect it would have sufficed for a bird passing through on migration to feed up. Given the route of some of the migrants that pass over Riverside Nature Park the Invergowrie Burn could provide some decent cover for a break in the birds' journey.

Skylark and Pheasant were both heard from the fields to the north. I decided to do a bit of exploring and headed through the Hotel grounds along a public path to Dykes of Gray. I wandered along the road until I spotted a large puddle in the field opposite. Unfortunately there were no Little Ringed Plovers to be had there (not unsurprisingly - but I had to check, just in case). I got sidetracked by a track leading through a slightly overgrown area on the other side of the burn which led to a small 'stile' into a large wood. I had a look there but it was a bit too overgrown to explore too far. A few Orange Tip butterflies were noted along the side of the burn. The air was full of St Mark's Flies in the shelter of the wood. I wandered further on and realised that the wood continued along towards the NCR building. As there was an open area through the trees I decided to head back to the 'Swallow' and down to Riverside Nature Park for a quick look.

Yellowhammer and Buzzard were both seen on the walk back to Invergowrie where a Song Thrush and soaring Sparrowhawk were both seen. I reached Riverside Nature Park at around 1515. Interestingly, the Merlin app gave a 'false positive' of Redstart near the underpass just before the park though I suspect it was a Chiffchaff call which caused the confusion. The western end of the park gave me Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon and Carrion Crow while down in the bay Herring Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Shelduck, Mallard, Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull and Oystercatcher could all be seen. The Mute Swan pair which has been frequenting the burn moth recently were once again there. A Grey Heron was on the pipe. Goldfinch, Song Thrush and Sedge Warbler were all in the area to the east of the hide.

An Orange Tip butterfly was seen as I continued on along to the main part of the park. Reed Bunting, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroat provided a soundtrack to the walk, while a Buzzard glided over from the direction of Ninewells. From near the picnic tables I added Cormorant, Curlew, Black Headed Gull and Cormorant down in the bay. Swallows, Linnet and House Martins were all noted as I cintinued round on the path in the direction of the car park. The (semi-resident?) Pheasant was heard calling and a few Skylarks were singing high above the hill. I added Jackdaw to the list as I headed for the eastern end and homewards. There were a few Rabbits among the sapling plantations. The walk home failed to add anything new for the day's efforts. The combined total for the afternoon's birding was 52 species, made up of 36 at the park and 39 outwith (of which Sparrowhawk was the only species only seen in Perthshire). Despite the lack of Redstart, the search for the bird had been a worthwhile exercise, with another little spot of potentially decent habitat being added to the places to check in future.

Peregrine
Kestrel
House Martin
Oystercatcher
Sparrowhawk
Black Tailed Godwit
Buzzard
Buzzard


Birds (outwith Riverside Nature Park) - Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Kestrel, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Peregrine, Pheasant, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Skylark, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Swallow, Swift, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Butterfly - Orange Tip.

Birds (at Riverside Nature Park) - Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, House Martin, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pheasant, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sedge Warbler, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, Swallow, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon.

Butterflies (at Riverside Nature Park) - Orange Tip.

Mammals (at Riverside Nature Park ) - Rabbit. 

Italics = Perthshire