1043 : Let's Go Round Again (3/12/22)

Cormorant


The first Saturday in December's weather forecast was only marginally better than the previous Saturday's with plenty potential for at least some rain. However, I still wanted to try to get some fresh air and exercise in daylight after walking to and from work in virtual darkness all week. Although sunlight was likely to be in even shorter supply than is usually the case at this time of year, I still wanted to be able to get some birding done. However, I had no real idea where to go. With Grey Plover and Waxwing both finally being found, there weren't really any clear target species that I could have a reasonable chance at adding. With recent heavy rain I thought there might be a chance of finding Jack Snipe at Trottick and I wanted to see how the OM-1 coped with these birds in flight, although I also wanted to finally see one on the ground before it saw me and flew off. With that in mind, the thermal imager was added to the contents of my bag before I headed outside.

I set off for Trottick via Caird Park just before 1040. It was raining when I stepped outside though not particularly heavily. Herring Gull, Jackdaw and Feral Pigeon were noted in my street. Great Tit and Robin were added as I headed up Arklay Street. A Magpie was noted on Clepington Road. Heading down Graham Street I was able to spot Goldfinch, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow and Blue Tit as well as a few Common Gulls on the football pitches. A Carrion Crow flew over before I crossed the Kingsway. Caird Park was busy with golfers so birds were relatively few and far between as I headed down the hill, though both Blackbird and Goldcrest were around along with a vocal Wren. I then managed to step into a hole as I used the thermal imager while checking the undergrowth below a patch of trees, though thankfully without causing any damage to my ankle.

At the Gelly Burn, I spotted a Dipper a little downstream from the small stone bridge - probably finding food a bit easier there than down on the Dighty following the recent heavy rains. Dunnock and Chaffinch were next before I checked the small reedbed next to the burn for any signs of life - but finding nothing there. Moorhens and Mallard were on the ponds but there was no sign of the usual Grey Heron. A Jay was seen in the graveyard but things were otherwise fairly quiet. I wandered down to the Dighty Burn and headed upstream along the old road. A couple of Grey Squirrels were seen and a Grey Wagtail was heard near the roadbridge.

I wandered on and into the Trottick Ponds nature reserve. Mute Swans, Moorhens, Mallards and Goosander were on the ponds along with a few Black Headed Gulls. I continued round past the ponds and checked the reeds there using the thermal imager before crossing the burn at the small metal bridge to check the reedbed on the opposite side. It was clear that the burn had overflowed recently which made for some cautious steps as I tried to reach the central area to scan for Snipe without getting my feet wet. Even with the help of the imager I drew a complete blank on anything bird-like. I tried a higher viewpoint just below a large tree a little further up the path but this proved equally fruitless. I wandered along the street on the western side to look for a way in to check from the far end of the 'open area'. A small flock of Siskins flew around overhead.

It was more overgrown than previously but I managed to negotiate my way through a few brambles and various other vegetation. I found a decent looking spot and stopped to start scanning. I wasn't expecting a panicked Water Rail to take flight for a few seconds before dropping back out of sight behind the reeds. No sooner had it landed when the first Common Snipe also vacated the area at speed. Within the next 30 seconds or so, another 5 did likewise. None of the birds were visible from my position, with the thermal imager and I had remained at the top of the small slope rather than attempt to head down into the reeds. Within a few minutes the group of 6 Snipe all returned overhead and circled round before aborting their landing to go round again. I headed off so they could land unhindered.

I headed back to Caird Park noting a mixed flock of Long Tailed Tits, Great Tit and Coal Tit on the way there. Mains Terrace was very quiet so I continued on up to Swannie Ponds. As I crossed the road by the crossroads, I heard an agitated sounding gull calling from behind me and turned to see it chasing a Buzzard in the direction of the ponds. Needless to say this encroachment by the raptor did cause a bit of a panic among the gulls and pigeons that were there. Having already seen most of the species I would expect at the ponds, the only things new here was Coot and a couple of flyover Greenfinches. Eastern Cemetery was my next port of call and Redwing and Mistle Thrush were still around in small numbers, but not much else. I briefly considered heading for the Stannergate but I wasn't feeling 100% so chose a quick look at City Quay and the river instead.

A Grey Heron was on the small wooden platform in the outer section of the quay and the drake Eider was also still around. There were a couple of Cormorants about and another Grey Heron was out on Submarine Rock. The Tay was otherwise very quiet. As I left the quay what was surprisingly my first Starling for the day flew over going in the opposite direction. By this time I was feeling rather drained and headed homewards having noted a total of 39 species. Although overall it maybe wasn't the most exciting of birding days, the Water Rail was a very welcome surprise find and it was good to know that the Snipe are still using the same area as earlier in the year, even if there were no obvious Jack Snipe (though there could easily have been a few staying put, that I failed to find with the thermal imager, given the rather limited viewing point options). Maybe next time....

Snipe
Snipe
Snipe
Moorhen
Common Gull
Black Headed Gull
Coot
Tufted Duck (& Black Headed Gull)
Greenfinch
Moorhen
Chaffinch
Mistle Thrush
Redwing
Blackbird
Redwing
Eider

Birds - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Common Gull, Coot, Cormorant, Dipper, Dunnock, Eider, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Snipe, Starling, Water Rail, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel.