1016 : Two Mornings (19 & 20/9/22)

Bullfinch


There are days when I don't have much, if any, motivation to get out birding. Sometimes I stay at home, and other times I force myself to go somewhere. Usually this works out in the end and I have a fairly decent day out. Monday the 19th of September was one of those days when I wasn't really in the mood. I decided I would head out somewhere though I really didn't have any real plan where I'd end up. I headed out at around 1000. I decided to head first to Swannie Ponds and see where I felt like going from there.

Meadow Pipits passed overhead as I stepped outside. It was relatively quiet though compared to the early mornings. Feral Pigeon, Herring Gull, Robin, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Martin, Blue Tit and Dunnock were all noted on the walk to the ponds. Mallard, Coot, Lesser Black Backed Gull and Black Headed Gull were all found there, including a 'new' ringed Black Headed Gull - White 2XJH - which was ringed as a chick in 2021 at the Moorfoot Hills, south of Edinburgh. Carrion Crow and Magpie were noted around the ponds and I watched a pair of Peacock butterflies feeding on a small Buddeia plant overhanging the top pond.

I decided to head for Caird Park next. Chaffinch and Blackbird were new additions on the way there. Heading down past the Regional Performance Centre I found a few birds in the trees by the road. Chiffchaff, Goldfinch and Coal Tit were all noted along with a Great Spotted Woodpecker which appeared on a tree behind me - unfortunately the camera was in the bag. A Grey Wagtail was heard at the velodrome. A Buzzard could be heard mewing somehere near the ponds and a Pied Wagtail flew over. Mallards were seen on the lower pond. Song Thrush and 2 Jays were seen around the top pond. I added a Wren as I headed back up through the golf course in the direction of home. Although I intended on removing a layer of clothing and heading out again, I ended up staying at home instead, having noted a total of 30 species over the course of an hour and a half.

Lesser Black Backed Gull
Black Headed Gull
Mallard
Woodpigeon
House Martin
Magpie
Peacock


Birds - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Coot, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Song Thrush, Starling Woodpigeon, Wren.

Butterfly - Peacock.

--------------------------

With weather conditions looking reasonably mild for Tuesday the 20th, I decided on an early morning visit to the top of Dundee Law again for a spot of  'vis-migging'. With sunrise around 0700 it wasn't too early a start and I was thankfully feeling a bit more motivated than I had been the previous day. I headed out the door at around 0640. Herring Gull, Robin, Dunnock, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Blackbird, Wren and Chaffinch were all noted on the walk up to the top of the hill, while obvious migrants passing overe were a few Meadow Pipits and a Grey Wagtail. Another Grey Wagtail started the ball rolling when I got organised and the next half hour was a procession of Meadow Pipits, though at a steady pace with a few minutes between each bird(s). A Pied Wagtail and a Feral Pigeon provided some limited variety. Magpies, Coal Tit and Greenfinch were all noted around the top of the hill and Goldcrests were heard from the trees too.

A family of Bullfinches were noted in the nearby trees and 2 youngsters even briefly perched on the mast. A Grey Squirrel worked its way through the treetops. A Blue Tit pair picked around on the mast and Chiffchaff was singing to the north. One of the Peregrines was once again perched on Cox's Stack. A single Song Thrush over was followed shortly after by another 3 before yet another Grey Wagtail passed by. A run of more Meadow Pipits was punctuated by another 3 Song Thrushes. A pair of Pink Footed Geese headed west upriver at around 0820. Yet another Song Thrush and the first 2 House Martins of the morning were added. A trio of Mistle Thrushes were noted a little out to the east just before a pair of Swallows zipped by. There were still plenty of Meadow Pipits passing. Another 2 House Martins, 3 Pink Footed Geese and another 2 Swallows were all seen shortly before the end of my second hour.

A Chaffinch headed west and another 2 Song Thrushes dropped in, between Meadow Pipits. A Cormorant headed northeast relatively high in the sky. A few more Feral Pigeons were noted and another 2 Chaffinches set off westwards. Just before 1000 another few groups of Swallows passed by, a group of 3 and another of 5. Mistle Thrush, House Martins, a Siskin, and a few more Song Thrushes provided some variety in the final hour with a group of 5 House Martins and another trio of Swallows rounding things off before I called it a morning and headed for home. A Sparrowhawk was being harssed by Carrion Crows and Magpies as I headed down from the hill, but the camera was packed away meaning that I missed out on the best photo opportunity of the morning. A Small White butterfly flitted around near the allotments entrance. I made it home around 1120 having recorded a total of 34 species of birds, 1 of mammals and 1 of butterflies. Although nothing too unusual was seen, movements were relatively steady and overall interesting enough to warrant staying the 4 hours that I did.

Song Thrush
Blue Tit
Song Thrush
Coal Tit
House Martin
Mistle Thrush
Pink Footed Goose
Magpie
Cormorant
Sand Martin
Herring Gull
Chaffinch
Swallow

Birds - Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Cormorant, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Meadow Pipit, Mistle Thrush, Peregrine, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sand Martin, Siskin, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Swallow, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Butterflies - Small White.

Mammals - Grey Squirrel.