0997 : A Day For Raptors (10/8/22)

Sparrowhawk


The heat returned with a vengeance on Wednesday. I had intended (again) on an early morning visit to the top of the Law to see what might be passing by, but I couldn't get out of bed. By the time I did get organised it was already a bit too warm for me, but having wasted too many opportunities I decided I would force myself to head for Riverside Nature Park to try to catch the waders in the bay on the incoming tide. By the time I got organised with extra liquid stowed and suntan lotion applied, it was already just after 0830. With high tide around 1430 or so, I knew I had plenty time to play with.

There were still a few Swifts lingering despite it being a couple of days beyond their usual departure date. I added House Martin over Mortimer Street as I headed in the direction of the Law. I was about to head back down the Law Steps on the west side of the hill when I heard a raptor calling from the conifers. It sounded like a Sparrowhawk and indeed it was, a youngster perched out in the open high up in a tree on the north side. It did eventually spot me and took off again. Another called from somewhere a bit more hidden and went unseen. At Balgay Hill I heard a Tree Pipit which sounded like it was perched in one of the trees near where I got my best Nuthatch photos on the fallen log but I failed to see that bird too. I added a Jay a little further on.

I decided to visit Ninewells Community Garden in the hope of perhaps adding a Tree Sparrow there, but the feeders were partially hidden by the summer foliage and the birds were relatively few so I chose not to linger there too long. I added a calling Chiffchaff before I reached Riverside Nature Park around 1025. The first bird I saw there was an Osprey overflying, which was surely a good omen. I'd messaged Lainy to see if she wanted to join me but she was otherwise engaged. I remarked that it seemed to look like quite a promising day for raptors, with the high temperatures, blue skies and not too much wind - decent soaring weather. Little did I suspect what was to happen a bit later....

It was a fairly standard selection around the eastern end of the park. Migrating Swallows zoomed by and a few Meadow Brown butterflies were seeking out what remaining flowers there were. A Whitethroat popped up on the fence beside me but disappeared again within a second or so. Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were both around and calling. It appeared that the heat was keeping most of the smaller birds in the shade and out of sight. I had once again decided to try to find at least 50 species at the park and was hoping to finally catch up with a Greenshank, as Keith has seen them relatively regularly recently. I wandered round to the bay, just in time to see another Osprey hunting over the outer part of the bay.

There were plenty of birds visible in the bay with Grey Heron, Redshank, Cormorant, Mallard, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Curlew, Lapwing, Common Sandpiper and an Oystercatcher all noted. I searched in vain for a Common Gull before a Sparrowhawk swept through low over the bushes in front of me. I heard a familiarly distinctive call and soon spotted not 1, but 2, Greenshanks flying out into the bay before looping back round and out of sight again once I'd managed to get a few photos. At last, I had managed to get my number 118 species for my Dundee 140 list.

More scanning added Dunlin and Sandwich Tern, though I was half wishing I'd brought a scope with me, though I'm not sure the extra weight would've been welcome. A Robin called from behind me somewhere. I had been keeping an eye on the comings and goings of the Osprey that had been over the bay. The bird that had now appeared off to my left looked to be a raptor but was most definitely not an Osprey, nor was it a Buzzard. It wasn't even a Marsh Harrier. I could see a white rump on what was quite a slim looking bird, though the wings were relatively broad. I made sure to get as many photos as I could, as the bird upset some of the roosting Sandwich Terns across the far side of the bay as it cruised slowly over towards the houses overlooking the bay. It then gained some height before I managed to lose track of it among some distant gulls. This gave me a chance at last to check the photos.

The photos were reasonably decent and I could easily see there were 5 'fingers'. Although this ruled out both Pallid and Montagu's Harriers it still meant I'd just seen a really good, and very unexpected bird given where I was, as well as the time of year - a Hen Harrier. I messaged Keith, Lainy and Ian Ford to alert them all to the bird being around. Not too long after that I picked up a slim raptor over Invergowrie but this one lacked the obvious white rump and was dark overall except for the head -  a Marsh Harrier. I've never seen both Marsh and Hen Harrier in the same month before, let alone the same day. If I'd had to guess where I might chance upon both together, it would be somewhere like Loch of Kinnordy and definitely not while stood in Riverside Nature Park. The Hen Harrier was species number 153 for the park list and the first new bird of 2022, and also number 119 for my Dundee 140 list.

Despite having seen 4 species of raptor I still hadn't seen the most common raptor at the park - a Buzzard. Usually they circle to the north before gliding over for a look at the park, but despite the ideal conditions there had been no sign of any. I added Song Thrush before I headed to the hide for a better view of the remaining mud, only adding a single Knot in with the Redshanks followed by Yellowhammer and Stock Dove. I then headed for my first look of the day at the Lochan. The water levels there are very low due to the lack of rain but there are still at least 3 young Moorhens along with an adult. I added a small flock of Starlings and a Pied Wagtail near the car park which took me a bit closer to my target for this particular park visit. I was scanning through the list to see what was still missing when I happened to look up, and there at last was a Buzzard, a little to the north.

It still looked unlikely that I would reach the 50 species but surprisingly I soon managed to add a skulking Dunnock, followed by a Common Gull and a distant Swift which took me to 51 species at the park. A pair of Buzzards were seen tussling over Balgay Cemetery and hill as I walked home and a Black Headed Gull flew over. A Red Admiral butterfly was noted on Ancrum Road and a Bullfinch was heard as I reached Law Crescent. This took me to a combined total of 57 species of birds for the day as well as 4 of butterfly. Despite the energy-sapping heat the day had managed to exceed expectations with 2 new Dundee 140 species, one of which was a year-tick too (in bold).

Swallow
Osprey
Osprey
Greenshank
Hen Harrier
Hen Harrier
Hen Harrier
Hen Harrier
Hen Harrier
Hen Harrier
Marsh Harrier
Marsh Harrier
Redshank & Dunlin
Common Gull
Curlew
Lapwing
Redshank & Knot
Sandwich Tern
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Stock Dove
Moorhen
Buzzard

Birds (outwith Riverside Nature Park) - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Sparrowhawk, Swift, Tree Pipit, Woodpigeon.

Butterflies (outwith Riverside Nature Park) - Large White, Peacock, Red Admiral.

Birds (at Riverside Nature Park) - Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Common Gull, Common Sandpiper, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Greenshank, Grey Heron, Hen Harrier, Herring Gull, House Martin, Jackdaw, Knot, Lapwing, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, Mallard, Marsh Harrier, Moorhen, Osprey, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sandwich Tern, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Swallow, Swift, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Butterflies (at Riverside Nature Park) - Meadow Brown.