0813 : Sunny Afternoon Stroll (28/11/20)

Having had a run of at least partially wet weekends recently I decided I should probably try to get out somewhere this weekend as dry, sunny weather was forecast. An idea for an early start went the usual way, and I stayed in bad for a few hours extra. When I did eventually surface I got organised for a walk to Balmossie. I decided I would take a scope as very light wind and sunshine meant that conditions would be decent for picking out distant birds in the outer Tay. Rather than go without a camera, I decided to take an older camera and the relatively lightweight option of a 70-300mm lens. The combination of scope and camera, plus binoculars did mean a fair bit of weight to carry on what would be roughly a 12 mile round trip.

Long Tailed Tit


It was around 1115 when I headed out into the sunshine. As I discovered relatively quickly I was a bit over-dressed and the scarf and gloves soon went in the pockets. A Coal Tit on a feeder in Court Street was a nice bird to add so close to home. As I reached Clepington Road I noticed the Feral Pigeons all taking flight - which usually suggests a raptor is nearby. The culprit was soon spotted by myself, and a Carrion Crow which gave chase to the Buzzard which headed towards Caird Park. A quick check at Swannie Ponds delivered a couple of Goosander but the rest was fairly standard fayre.

Rather than take my usual route towards Eastern Cemetery I decided to walk down the Kingsway, just in case there were Waxwings feeding on the Rowan berries. Unfortunately the best I managed was a couple of Mistle Thrushes. Reaching the Stannergate I had a quick check of the river but birds were largely absent. A few Turnstones, a Redshank and a Common Gull were noted but the walk along the waterfront to Broughty Ferry was largely poor for birds. Rock Pipit and Pied Wagtail were seen near the Lifeboat shed and a large skein of Pink Footed Geese headed north. A Grey Seal was seen distantly out on the river.

Further on a Linnet flew over as I diverted into the small local nature reserve. This proved relatively productive with Redwing, Great Tit, Jay, Bullfinches, Blackbirds, Long Tailed Tit, Blue Tit and Stock Dove all noted though overall the area was relatively quiet. A roosting Grey Heron with the Turnstones and Redshanks at the outflow at Balmossie was a nice surprise though the whole lot being flushed by an out of control dog, with the owner on the opposite side of the Dighty, was not. Neither was the ignorance and attitude of the owner when challenged about it.

Scanning out over the river I was able to add a few more distant species - Razorbill, Guillemot, Great Black Backed Gull, Goldeneye, Red Breasted Merganser, Eider and Great Black Backed Gull but the hoped for Great Northern Diver was nowhere to be seen. By now the light was fading as the sun headed for the horizon and I set off on the long walk homewards. A couple of Grey Herons and a flock of Curlews were seen in the gloaming as I slowly walked home, my bag weighing heavily on my shoulders. Overall not a classic day out but I did manage to see 48 species without finding anything too exciting among them, though I did manage to get a few reasonable photos.


Goosander


Goosander


Mallard


Goosander


Tufted Duck


Tufted Duck


Tufted Duck


Turnstone


Common Gull


Pink Footed Goose


Turnstone


Turnstone


Cormorant


Rock Pipit


Pied Wagtail


Pied Wagtail


Pied Wagtail


Turnstone


Redwing


Redwing


Bullfinch


Long Tailed Tit


Long Tailed Tit


Long Tailed Tit


Long Tailed Tit


Long Tailed Tit


House Sparrow


House Sparrow


Wren


Turnstone, Redshank & Grey Heron


Grey Heron


Redshank & Turnstone


Redshank & Turnstone


Redshank & Turnstone


Collared Dove


Curlew


Grey Heron


Grey Heron


Grey Heron


Species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Coot, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Tit, Grey Heron, Guillemot, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Razorbill, Red Breasted Merganser, Redshank, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rock Pipit, Starling, Stock Dove, Tufted Duck, Turnstone, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Mammals seen - Grey Seal.