0759 : Overgate & Riverside (26/1/20)

My original intention for Sunday was to get up relatively early and to head into town to revisit the (Siberian) Chiffchaffs behind the Overgate. Hopefully by the time I'd finished there word would have come in as to whether or not the 2 Great White Egrets were still around at Forfar Loch. If they were I'd catch a bus up for a wander round the Loch which would hopefully also add Greenfinch to my year-list. There would also be a slim chance of one or two others. However, the weather forecast wasn't looking promising when the alarm went off, so I went back to sleep.


Buzzard

I did get up around 0930 and headed out about an hour or so later. I headed into town as planned to see if the (Siberian) Chiffchaffs were still around and soon had all 3 birds in front of me again. This time I had purposely taken my DSLR with me and it made a huge difference in being able to get photos as the birds moved around in the trees by the multi-storey car park. Once again, out came security (having been noticeably absent as a loud altercation took place in the car park minutes before!). Once again, I explained what I was photographing, and showed them a photo. Off they went again though they did ask me to phone them to let them know I would be taking photos outside the centre in future (probably worth doing so, if anyone else goes for a look, as it saves a few minutes minor hassle).

Unfortunately after about 10 minutes or so it began to rain quite heavily so I decided that I had enough photos of the birds and headed out to Riverside Nature Park. I decided to set myself a target number of species - in this case, 35. Stock Dove, Bullfinch and Grey Heron were a not too shabby early trio of species and Buzzard Wood produced quite a few others including Redwing and Goldcrest before I wandered further into the park, though not before finally adding Greenfinch to the year-list when 2 flew over. A small flock of Siskin did likewise. The Lochan was relatively quiet with only a Black Headed Gull, a few Teal and Mallard and a single Moorhen.

The tide was already quite far in when I reached the hide but the wader flock consisted only of Redshanks and Dunlin, though I did find a couple of Turnstone a little later. There were no Godwits, Curlews or Oystercatchers to be seen and only Common and Herring Gulls to be added to the Black Headed seen at the Lochan. A Kestrel was added as I wandered round towards the outer part of the bay. I struggled to find a few of the expected species around the park which would have taken me a little closer to my target total. It looked like I was going to stall on 33 species but as I was heading out the gate at the eastern end a Buzzard flew over quite low taking me to 34 species, just 1 short of the Nature Park target. I failed to add anything else on the long walk back along Riverside Drive and then home from the city centre until a Sparrowhawk flew over as I neared home.

Certainly not a classic day out but I was able to get some decent enough photos of the (Siberian) Chiffchaffs - though once again the apparent plumage tones varied between photos - possibly even looking more 'normal' Chiffchaff-like, and I also managed to finally get Greenfinch on my year-list. In total I managed to see 36 species including the aforementioned year-tick (in bold), as well as my first Rabbit of 2020. The Great White Egrets were eventually reported around dusk by which time it was too late for me to try and see them. Hopefully, they will be around for a while or I will be able to catch up with the species elsewhere later in the year. As I have a few days off work coming up soon, if they are still around then I will have a wee trip to try for them.

Species seen - Home to city centre -  Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Goldfinch, (Siberian) Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Blackbird.

Riverside Nature Park (all 34 species) -  Carrion Crow, Stock Dove, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Bullfinch, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Starling, Song Thrush, Feral Pigeon, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Redwing, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Wren, Siskin, Robin, Woodpigeon, Goldcrest, Jackdaw, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Teal, Black Headed Gull, Moorhen, Redshank, Dunlin, Common Gull, Turnstone, Kestrel, Buzzard.

Riverside Nature Park to home - Magpie, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Long Tailed Tit, Sparrowhawk.
Mammals seen - Rabbit.


(Siberian) Chiffchaff

(Siberian) Chiffchaff

(Siberian) Chiffchaff

(Siberian) Chiffchaff

(Siberian) Chiffchaff

(Siberian) Chiffchaff

Grey Heron

Bullfinch

Great Tit

Coal Tit

Herring Gull

Magpie

Redwing

Chaffinch

Siskin

Great Tit

Robin

Teal

Moorhen

Teal

Dunlin

Common Gull

Black Headed Gull & Common Gull

Redshank & Dunlin

Mallard, Teal, Redshank & Turnstone

Mallard, Teal, Redshank & Dunlin

Mallard, Teal, Dunlin, Redshank & Turnstone

Redshank & Dunlin

Redshank, Dunlin, Turnstone & Teal

Jackdaw

Dunlin & Redshank

Teal

Black Headed Gull

Stock Dove

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

Buzzard

Buzzard

Buzzard



Species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, (Siberian) Chiffchaff, Coal Tit, Common Gull, Dunlin, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Redshank, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Teal, Turnstone, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Mammals seen - Rabbit.