0586 : No Sun Sunday (7/10/18)

I got out of bed rather late on Sunday but decided that despite the forecast rain for mid-afternoon I should at least try to squeeze in some birding, though I wasn't really in the mood. I didn't have much of a plan when I was ready to leave the house other than to have a look at Swannie Ponds first and see what I could find and then to make a decision on where to go next. I decided to travel light, taking the Nikon P900 and a pair of binoculars instead of my more usual kit.

Grey Heron

It was around 1215 when I headed out. Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Herring Gull and Black Headed Gull were seen before Feral Pigeon, Blue Tit and Starling were added. Arriving at the ponds I found the water level really low which meant no Tufted Ducks. A Grey Heron waded out from the island. Black Headed and Herring Gulls were dotted around. A few Mallard and a couple of Common Gulls were seen. The local Mute Swans were on the lower pond as was a few Common Gulls. I did find 3 ringed Black Headed Gulls including white J4U2, a regular Norwegian ringed bird and 2 metal ringed birds though the resolution of the photos from the P900 and the poor light meant that neither of these 2 were identifiable.

I headed for Eastern Cememtery next, stopping to see 8 Pink Footed Geese flying north as I wandered along past the TA centre. Things were very quiet in the cemetery though a Mistle Thrush was heard but not seen. There seemed to have been a lot of gravestones knocked down since my last visit which along with a sign on the gate asking dog walkers to keep their dogs on leads and on the paths because of fouling on the actual graves does make one question some people's attitudes. Magpie and Woodpigeon were seen before I decided to catch a bus to Monifieth and walk back from there.

Collared Dove was seen on the way and when I arrived at Monifieth I headed first for the corner of the Barry Buddon Army training ranges. Pied Wagtails and Oystercatchers were seen on the grass at the football pitches while offshore Cormorants and Gannets were seen though the wind made viewing tricky. A large flock of Bar Tailed Godwits and Knot were seen flying around along towards the burn. The sky was looking rather threatening by now and I was walking into the wind. The tide was quite far in leaving only a small area of each where a small group of Dunlin, Sanderling and Ringed Plover were seen. A single Linnet sheltered among the rocks. Out on the water I spotteed a couple of Eider. As the weather was deteriorating quickly I chose to head for the bus and home. House Sparrow was the final addition as I waited for the bus.

I ended the day's birding efforts with a total of just 29 species. I had at least made the effort to get out despite my mind being elsewhere. Following on from Saturday's triple "dip" and ahead of yet more westerlies it was all rather demoralising.

Grey Heron

Moorhen

Moorhen

Oystercatcher

Bar Tailed Godwit & Knot

Species seen - Bar Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Coot, Cormorant, Dunlin, Eider, Gannet, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Knot, Linnet, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Ringed Plover, Feral Pigeon, Sanderling, Starling, Woodpigeon.