0555 : Sunday Stroll (29/7/18)

From now on this blog is likely to be much leaner than previously. I welcome any comments on this "new look" from regular readers. The reason for the change is that levels of views have slumped for no discernible reason, and the amount of time and effort involved in creating a blog post is barely warranted by the current levels of interest being shown. This new leaner look may well lose me more readers, but if you don't like it (or even if you do), then please do share your thoughts with me.

Lesser Black backed Gull
Although I had spent all day on Saturday seawatching at Fife Ness, the weather forecast wasn't promising for a return visit on Sunday. I didn't want to stay in and not do any birding at all so I decided to head out for a walk to Swannie Ponds to see if there were any returning ringed gulls around and to assess the breeding success/failures of the resident species. I travelled light with my Nikon P900 and binoculars instead of more typical gear.

I headed out at 1218. The walk to the ponds gave me a nice mix of fairly typical birds with Herring Gull, Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Feral Pigeon, Starling, House Sparrow, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon and House Martin. Arriving at the ponds, I noted a Grey Heron in the water by the island, 4 Coots (2 youngsters), a few Mallard including ducklings plus Herring Gulls, Black Headed Gulls and at least 18 Lesser Black Backed Gulls. A couple of Common Gulls were noted on the grass a little later and the Mute Swan family with only a single Cygnet were on the lower pond. A Magpie was heard from the island, but not seen. There was no sign of any Moorhens or Tufted Ducks. I headed for home as the rain started. Only 16 species seen in total and no ringed birds obvious amongst them.

Grey Heron

Black Headed Gull

Lesser Black Backed Gull

Lesser Black Backed Gull

Herring Gull

Herring Gull

Herring Gull

Species seen - Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Coot, Goldfinch, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Mallard, Mute Swan, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Woodpigeon.