0405 : Bus-Borne Birding (10/5/17)

As I missed out on the Glossy Ibis at Loch of Kinnordy on Sunday having chosen to go to Fife instead, I had to hope that it would hang around until Wednesday when I had another chance to try to see it. Wood Sandpiper was also seen there, with others in Fife at The Wilderness and Letham Pools on Tuesday. I worked out that it should be possible to try for both species at Kinnordy, but if I was unsuccessful I could still manage to squeeze in the Fife locations. The downside was that an early start would probably be required. In addition, a lot of travelling time on buses would be the main feature of the day. Still, as I've said before, nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Glossy Ibis
My alarm clock went off at 0500, though it was about 10 minutes later before I got up. I headed out at 0630, which is more usually the time I'm just getting out of my bed. Swifts were circling high above, while a Blackbird scuttled away under a car. A Feral Pigeon flew over and a Herring Gull, Lesser Black backed Gull and a Starling were added as I headed for the bus on Dura Street. A Collared Dove was seen as I waited for the bus to arrive, which it did just a minute or so late. I did manage to add a few species on the way north, with Rooks, Black Headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Oystercatcher, House Sparrow and Jackdaw joining the earlier species on the list.

Carrion Crow was seen as I walked up through Kirriemuir to the wooded path along to the Loch. There were a few Pheasants, and Brown Hares in the fields. A Stock Dove flew over, while a bit further on, Siskin was also added. Dunnock and Blue Tit were next onto the list while a singing Blackcap was spotted silhouetted in the branches. A couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers drummed from some of the taller trees near the junction where the path leads round to the lily pond. A Mallard was in the channel leading from the Loch. A Robin was next. When I was able to get a vew of part of the Loch I added Mute Swan while Swallows, Swifts and Sand Martins criss-crossed low above the surface.

I decided not to pop into the East Hide, instead choosing to go directly to the Gullery Hide. A drake Shoveler was out on the water, along with Coot and Moorhen. A Lapwing swooped over the bogbean islands and a Redshank flew in to land on another one. A Sedge Warbler gave a short display flight from the reeds to the right of the hide. A woman entered the hide before me and there were already 2 others in the hide despite the time being just after 0800. The two already in place were Ted Logan and Sheila Newcombe. I spotted a number of Snipe displaying over the back of the Loch, but they were too far away to hear the 'drumming' sound created by the airflow over the extended tail feathers as the bird dives at an angle, before swooping back up to repeat the manouevre.

A pair of Greylags flew past at pace, rather noisily. I spotted a raptor circling up to the north which I suspect was just a large female Sparrowhawk, though a Goshawk was reported in the area not too long ago. I discovered that the Glossy Ibis was still around though not in view. Out on the water I picked up a few Tufted Ducks before a drake Wigeon flew past. Ted and then Sheila left, before Roddy McKenzie came in. He quickly found the Glossy Ibis, and I had a quick look through his scope to get the bird on my list. It took flight a short while later and circled round before disappearing out of sight behind the reeds in front of the pines. I wandered along for a quick visit to the Swamp Hide but didn't stay long as the Ibis wasn't visible from there either. A Roe Deer buck swam/waded across the Loch not far from the hide giving me some nice photo opportunities.

The male Marsh Harrier put in an appearance before settling in the top of the lone pine. A Red Kite drifted overhead. A party of four Black Tailed Godwits circled round looking like they might land but went elsewhere. The Glossy Ibis flew again, and there was a bit of a tussle with the Marsh Harrier at one point. A pair of Teal dropped in. I had been scanning the bogbean islands regularly, hoping to find the Wood Sandpipers, but having no luck. A Buzzard circled up along towards the eastern end of the Loch. I spotted a Reed Bunting across the far side of the Loch. A Common Gull glided past.

I weighed up my options. If I left at 1000, I could catch the 1035 back to Dundee, have a quick stop at home then catch the 1235 bus to Ladybank, arriving at 1320. If I waited any longer then all the times would slip back an hour. Roddy had headed off but I was joined in the hide with another familar name from facebook, Abi Warner. I decided to head back along the track to catch the bus. I added Willow Warbler and Chaffinch on my way back to the bus. I felt really tired on the way back to Dundee so decided I would have a cup of tea when I got home, to help me wake up.

I was able to spend around 25 minutes at home before I headed out again at about 1210. A Magpie loitered near a worried looking female Blackbird who I suspect had a nest that she was attempting to return to. I took a step forward and both birds flew off, giving the Blackbird a chance of a little respite. A Lesser Black Backed Gull almost smacked me in the face near the Wellgate as our paths crossed. From the bus to Ladybank I added House Martins near St Michaels and a Peregrine at Cupar. I arrived at Ladybank slightly later than the timetable suggested it should.

Pied Wagtail was seen near the railway station but the walk out along the road to The Wilderness was rather quiet, with not many birds seen, in contrast to the same walk earlier in the day. A Yellowhammer was on a roadside bush. A pair of Mistle Thrushes flew up from the fields holding the horses and a few Sand Martins overflew. Arriving at the Wilderness I scanned from the gate first after stopping to spot a Wren among the weeds. Grey Heron, Shelduck, Pink Footed Geese, Little Grebe, Tufted Duck and Mallards were soon on the list. I moved a short distance along the wall, stopping and scanning as I went, before moving a short distance again and repeating the process.

A pair of Common Sandpipers chased around across the far side, not settling. I found a Ringed Plover on one of the sandy islands, and behind it a longer legged larger wader ran along the edge. Initially I thought it could be a Ruff but a proper look and a photo confirmed that it was target species number 2, a Wood Sandpiper. I took a few more photos and even a video clip before wandering further along the wall. There were no other additions to the day list though there were a few Oystercatchers as well as Shoveler and Gadwall, both of which I'd seen earlier in the day.

As I was still feeling quite tired I decided to walk back to Ladybank and catch the bus to Letham, to check the pools there. This would save time and energy. A Great Black Backed Gull was an unexpected sighting as I neared the railway station again, and a Lesser Redpoll overflew. A Buzzard was harassed by a crow as I waited for the bus to arrive. There was plenty to see at Letham Pools but it was largely similar species to those seen at The Wilderness. I found a second Wood Sandpiper, as well as a Dunlin and a Water Rail, while on the other pool a Great Crested Grebe roosted on a bogbean island. A single drake Pochard was among the ducks too. I decided not to make the short walk to Mountcastle Quarry to try for Garden Warbler but instead just to head to the bus stop in Letham to catch the bus to Cupar, and another from there to Dundee, rather than going to St Andrews first.

I added Cormorant on Submarine Rock as the bus crossed the bridge over the Tay to take my list for the day to 69 species. I arrived home just over 11 hours after my initial 0630 start, having made 7 separate bus journeys totalling just short of 4 hours. The early start was a bit of a killer, but the 2 year-ticks (in bold) made it worth the effort, though it isn't a pattern for a day's birding that I'll be too keen to repeat unless there are even better birds on offer. Tiring but enjoyable day out.

Shoveler

Sparrowhawk

Greylag Goose

Wigeon

Marsh Harrier

Roe Deer

Roe Deer

Glossy Ibis

Marsh Harrier

Marsh Harrier

Marsh Harrier & Glossy Ibis

Glossy Ibis

Swift

Brown Hare

Wood Sandpiper

Common Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper & Gadwall

Pied Wagtail

Sedge Warbler

Water Rail & Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

Reed Bunting

Redshank

Redshank

Pink Footed Geese

Pochard

Water Rail, Gadwall & Shelduck

Redshank & Water Rail

Mute Swan & Brown Hare

Species seen - Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Black Tailed Godwit, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Common Sandpiper, Coot, Cormorant, Dunlin, Dunnock, Gadwall, Glossy Ibis, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Crested Grebe, Grey Heron, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull, House Martin, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Lapwing, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll, Little Grebe, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Marsh Harrier, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Peregrine, Pheasant, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Pochard, Red Kite, Redshank, Reed Bunting, Ringed Plover, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Sand Martin, Sedge Warbler, Shelduck, Shoveler, Siskin, Snipe, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Swallow, Swift, Teal, Tufted Duck, Water Rail, Wigeon, Willow Warbler, Wood Sandpiper, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.