0461 : November Rain (22/11/17)

Bad weather meant that this Wednesday I chose to stay in my bed rather than attempt to get out to do some birding. By early afternoon, despite the rain, I decided I should at least go out for a walk and get some fresh air. As is often the case on days when I can't get going, I decided to visit Swannie Ponds. I took the Nikon P900 with me just in case I found something good to allow me to get some record shots, and my binoculars.

Goosander

The light was already rather poor when I headed outside at 1400. It was also raining steadily, though not quite as heavy as had been forecast. I would still get wet, but not completely soaked, which was one minor plus. A Herring Gull was perched atop a nearby roof and another was on the grass below. A male Blackbird was hunched up in a tree on Court Street, while a noisy flock of House Sparrows could be heard from the hedge below. A flock of Feral Pigeons passed over on Clepington Road. I chose not to do my usual detour down Mains Loan and Mains Terrace. Instead I headed straight for the ponds.

The trees surrounding the former tennis courts held birds in the tops and I waited until I was at the steps for the ponds before I had a look at them. A pair of Redwings were chasing round overhead. There were more Redwings in the trees along with a Mistle Thrush, a few Goldfinches and some Greenfinches. The light made it pointless even attempting a photo with everything almost a silhouette. Mallards were stood around on the path at the pond, while the Mute Swan family trio were over by the boating ramp. Unusually there were no gulls visible on the water.

A pair of Magpies were in a tree across the road and a few Blue Tits were feeding in the trees behind me. I had brought some food for the birds with me and scattered some of it around, hoping to tempt the Black Headed Gulls I could now see further round the path closer so I could look for ringed birds but despite the activity of the Mallards and Mutes there was almost zero interest shown. A trio of Goosanders appeared from behind the island - 2 drakes and a duck. A Coot swam over to join the other wildfowl already feeding. The quartet of domestic 'Mallard' type ducks waddled over for some food as well.

A Tufted Duck emerged among the flock on the water while a Dunnock was seen in a tree top. A Carrion Crow loitered on the path ahead of me. The gulls had by now decided to join the others for food as I was now a lot closer. They were mostly Black Headed Gulls, and a smaller number of Herring Gulls, though I did eventually find a single Common Gull amongst them. A few more Tufted Ducks, at least one other Coot and a Moorhen were seen before I turned my attention to the trees behind me where I could hear a mixed flock of tits feeding. The Blue Tits and Great Tits were easily seen but the Long Tailed Tits I could hear proved elusive as did a Pied Wagtail.

I decided to check out Baxter Park next and was able to watch the Long Tailed Tits feeding in the trees alongside the path at the end of the park. A Robin was heard singing but not seen. Things were relatively quiet in Baxter Park with only Woodpigeon added though a couple of finches were seen in flight but the monotone conditions made ID too difficult. Starlings were seen at the Morgan Academy and a flock of House Sparrows were added as I walked home.

I was out for just over an hour in the constant rain, so no photos were taken at all. The photos illustrating this blog are all from previous, much sunnier, outings. I did eventually manage to see 24 species and hear another couple so despite the weather there was plenty to see in the rather poor conditions.

Moorhen & Mallard

Mistle Thrush

Goldfinch

Magpie

Redwing

House Sparrow

Tufted Duck

Mallard

Moorhen

Black Headed Gull

Herring Gull

Species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Common Gull, Coot, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Long tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Redwing, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Tufted Duck, Woodpigeon.