0464 : Sunday Searching (3/12/17)

Once again the weekend's big plans were a bit of a write-off with Saturday spent at home and Sunday looked like heading the same way until I decided  really should go somewhere. Trying for Snow Buntings at Tentsmuir didn't look feasible given public transport on a Sunday and available light left, so I eventually settled for a rare Winter visit to Riverside Nature Park. I was hoping to see Woodcock or even a roosting Owl, both of which I've seen at the park around this time of year. My main reason however was to try out a new piece of photographic equipment which should, in theory, make flight shots much easier.

Grey Heron

The light wasn't looking too great when I headed out just before 1300. A Herring Gull on a roof got the list off to a fairly typical start, with Feral Pigeons high overhead following seconds later. As I had just missed a bus into town, I walked down to Dens Road to catch the number 22. A tree near the traffic roundabout held a few Blackbirds and a single Redwing. A Carrion Crow flew over Dura Street. While waiting at the bus stop I heard a Goldcrest calling from the trees opposite and eventually managed to spot its tiny shape as it flitted around among the branches. A Magpie was seen from the bus on Arthurstone Terrace.

I walked down Glamis Road to get to the park, Having chosen to stay on the 22 instead of having to wait in the city centre for a more direct bus. This decision turned out to be quite productive. A pair of Collared Doves flew over as I walked down the hill. On Riverside Avenue I added a Mistle Thrush in the top of a tree as well as a Chaffinch and a Great Tit by the steps down from the roadbridge over the railway line. A single Goldfinch overflew before I spotted a single female Bullfinch in a tree beside me. It was joined by another 3 birds - another female and 2 males, but they all flew off before I managed to get the camera out of my bag. A Blue Tit was next onto the list before I finally reached the park entrance at around 1350.

A Carrion Crow flewover as I walked into the park. I could hear Redwings calling from behind me but failed to see them. A large skein of Pink Footed Geese could be seen flying over Invergowrie Bay. A Siskin landed in the trees behind me before a Woodpigeon flew into Buzzard Wood. A Goldfinch was seen as I walked down the side of the wood on my wayto check out the boggy area in front. A Grey Heron flew up from the edge and landed a short distance away on the grass, before flying away again but not too far. The boggy patch was rather more boggy than I hoped which limited my exploration to check for Jack Snipe. There weren't even any Common Snipe around, or at least if there were they were staying put.

A few Chaffinches flew over and the first Magpies, a trio over by the road, were seen. Walking round towards the hill, I spotted a couple of Jackdaws overhead and then a flock of Redshanks feeding up on the newly cut grass up on the top of the slope. The first time I've seen them doing that. A Blackbird landed in a nearby tree and a Robin was seen in the lower branches of the hedge. A herring Gull glided over in the direction of the bay. The Lochan was frozen over with the Redshank flock stood out in the middle on the ice, which made for an unusual photo opportunity.

I headed along to the hide next, though with the tide already in, and quite high the only birds seen were more Redshanks roosting on the railway embankment by the water. Further out across the bay were a few Black Headed Gulls and Herring Gulls. I walked back along to rejoin the main path adding a flyover Stock Dove pair to the list. A pair of Teal were on the water down from the picnic area, while much further out on the river were a number of Mallards. A Cormorant was seen from the top of the hill as it hunted in towards the burn mouth. Another was seen flying upriver past the airport.

As I headed back down towards the car park, I heard a Bullfinch calling and a bit of exploration found a single bird which flew off away from me before I managed to find where it was perched, though it did confirm that there was one around. Feral Pigeons were seen up towards Ninewells with a displaying male strutting around atop the main tower identifiable through binoculars through its behaviour. I headed towards the exit via Buzzard Wood where a Jack Russell off the lead was wreaking havoc in the wood, putting up all the birds. This worked in my favour adding a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a flock of Redwings to my list. A Wren landed in a weedy patch at the edge of the boggy patch before it flew into the wood. The owner of the out of control dog came round the corner seeming rather unconcerned about what her dog was up to. She did finally spend some time trying to call it back as I headed off round the corner.

A bird on the wires by the road looked thrush shaped and a quick photo in the gloom showed it to be a Mistle Thrush. With the light fading even more I decided to head up to Ninewells to see if I could find a Tawny Owl, but as I reached the bus stop I noticed the bus was due and decided I might as well take the chance to head for home instead of what was likely to be a rather futile attempt to add another species to the list followed by a no doubt lengthy wait for a bus home.

In total I managed to see just 24 species in the park, and 14 outwith, of which only 4 weren't seen at the park also. Not the greatest afternoon's birding, and the jury is still out on the photo equipment. Setting it up properly proved tricky without a stable support, though it did make tracking flying subjects easier than using the viewfinder, so I will give it another try next time out.

Carrion Crow

Grey Heron

Grey Heron

Pink Footed Geese

Great Tit

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Pink Footed Geese

Black Headed Gulls & Herring Gulls

Mallard

Teal

Redwing

Mistle Thrush

Species seen outwith the park (4 species only seen outwith the park in italics) - Blackbird, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Collared Dove, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Herring Gull, Magpie, Mistle Thrush, Redwing, Feral Pigeon

Species seen in the park - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Magpie, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Pink Footed Goose, Redshank, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Stock Dove, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren.